Friday, August 23, 2013

Day 8. It's FRIDAY!

Don't start singing, but it is Friday.

So, today, we'll have some fun. My definition of fun. :)

We'll start by turning in your RAFTS assignment from yesterday. I can't wait to read them!

I have decided that I have had enough of the "good" side of the Puritans. Now, I want to talk about the not so pretty side of them. Today we are going to read a poem called "Half Hanged Mary". I will let you guess what it is about.

You will read this poem in groups. Don't worry, I'll pick them for you today. :D As you read, complete the following:

-Highlight examples of figurative language (similes, metaphors, personification)- 5 or more
-Underline words/ phrases that reveal what kind of person she was prior to her hanging--5 or more
-STAR lines of the poem that affect you-- 4 or more and explain why
-Record any connections/ thoughts off to the side
-Other types of annotations: characterization, thematic development, symbolism, motifs, foreshadowing, point of view, how the ending appropriately concludes the work.

Once you have finished annotating with your group, go back through and answer the questions 1-18.

If we get time, we will go through the poem together and talk about how Margaret Atwood and Anne Bradstreet are similar and different.

Can't wait for today!! See you soon!